Chapter 8: The Progressive Era (1890-1920)
SQ#8/1: Can I explain the origins of the Progressive Movement?
SQ#8/2: Can I explain the important role that muckrakers played in the Progressive Movement?
SQ#8/3: Can I explain two ways in which the Progressives worked to reform society?
SQ#8/4: Can I explain three ways in which the Progressives worked to reform the workplace?
SQ#8/5: Can I explain how the Progressives changed local and state governments?
SQ#8/6: Can I explain the impact that women's changing roles had on American society during the Progressive era?
SQ#8/7: Can I describe Theodore Roosevelt’s background? Can I explain Roosevelt’s view of the role of the presidency?
SQ#8/8: Can I explain how Roosevelt attempted to regulate big business?
SQ#8/9: Can I explain how Roosevelt attempted to protect consumers?
SQ#8/10: Can I explain how Roosevelt felt about conserving the environment?
SQ#8/11: Can I explain how Roosevelt carried out his conservation philosophy?
SQ#8/12: Can I explain how Taft's approach to Progressivism differed from Roosevelt's?
SQ#8/13: Can I explain (not 'list') two major success of Wilson's "New Freedom?"
Daily Activities & Assignments
November 10, 2014:
- Assignment: Prereading worksheet. Due Wednesday, 11/12/14, BOP.
- Veteran's Day holiday!
- Notes: Introduction to the Progressive Movement and the Muckrakers. Guided class notes for today and tomorrow are here.
- Notes: the Muckrakers (con't), video clip: The Jungle.
- Assignment: Vocabulary Sections 1, 2 & 3. Due EOP.
- Video activity: Cities from America: the Story of US. Comprehension questions to be turned in at the end of the period.
- Notes: Finish intro and start second page of guided notes (Progressive reform of the Workplace), located at this link.
- Notes, (con't)
- Great website for information on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire.
- Notes: Progressive reform of Government located at this link.
- Video activity: Cities from America: the Story of US (part 2). Comprehension questions to be turned in at the end of the period.
- Wrap-up & review
- Chapter 8, Section 1 PowerPoint
- Yikes! No power = no school = no Quiz!
- Quiz! Chapter 8, Section 1
- Tri-County field trip.
- Notes: Chapter 8, Section 4: Intro to Theodore Roosevelt (Yessss!) Note handout is here.
- Reading Guide: Chapter 8, Section 4, due Monday.
- Finish Intro notes.
- Notes: TR and Business Regulation. Note handout is here.
- Activity: Cartoon Analysis "The Great Bear Hunt"
- Notes: TR and Consumer Protection and Environmental Conservation.
- Notes: Taft & Wilson. Note handout is here.
- Wrap-up/Review/Work on Study Guide (suggestions and instructions)
- TEST!!! Chapter 8.